Image Map

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

My Mom Beat the Odds! 1

Lots has happened since my last blogging spree - let me spend a few days filling you in! I may not be on every day, but I'll work up to that.

My last post in March eluded to an emergency with my Mom.  Well, there was a HUGE emergency.

I got a random text at about 2:00am from my Dad saying that my he had taken my Mom to the ER that night because she was really sick with the flu. She was unable to walk and just not acting like herself.  After admitting her into the ER, they took her blood pressure and it was almost non-existent.  

They immediately admitted her to the ICU.

The first night was touch and go. 

After that first night in the hospital my Dad told the nurse that he was going to go home and get some sleep.  The nurse's response was "you know she is critical right".  That is how serious and grave the situation was.

After she was semi-stabilized they finally were able to start trying to figure out what was going on in her body.

After many many many test she was diagnosed with Neisseria Meningitidis.  
For those of you who watch dancing with the stars this is what Amy Purdy contracted that caused her to become a double amputee!


Nerisseria Meningitatis is the bacteria that causes Meningitis.  Typically this bacteria attacks the brain, spinal cord and causes bloodstream infections. 

My Mom had Sepsis/Septic Shock/Septicemia. When someone has Meningococcal Septicemia, the bacteria enters the bloodstream and multiplies, damaging the walls of the blood vessels which leads to internal and external bleeding.  It basically causes the body shut down completely.

This is what caused her to fight for her life.

She was in the ICU for days.  
During this time she had fluid in her lungs, was put on a bi-pap machine because she had too much stress on her lungs with the fluids, was heavily sedated because her body was using all of itself to fight this infection. 

The right hand side shows you fluid (all of the foggy white junk, lungs should be basically black) - this was after a few weeks of treatment. Before both lungs were full.

I finally got home the day my mom was discharged from the ICU.  I stayed with her in the hospital for the next week.

She slowly became herself again.  Could finally speak without effort.  Breath without oxygen.  Stand up without assistance.  

Quality hospital time

On day number 15 she was let out of the hospital with a spleen that is no longer functioning and a lot lighter! She was so happy to be home...and the dogs were even happier to have her home!

Finally home!

Today she is back to normal.  She is herself again! 

She is a statistic that is usually not a positive one.  Doctors rarely see and/or treat a case like hers in their entire medical career.  What she had is more rare than being struck by lightening. She was lucky.

Those days were the scariest, most physically, mentally and emotionally taxing days I've experienced.  I can't describe what it was like, nor can I begin to try to explain it.  

To this day I can't think of those few weeks without becoming emotional.  I cry, I laugh, I thank God.  She fought like hell to survive and I am so thankful she did!  

One can never know what life has in store. Don't ever forget to give those you love extra hugs and kisses...and never forget to tell them how much you love them!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my!!! So glad to hear that she is doing ok now! I can't even imagine how strong of a fighter she is, or how hard it must have been on you to have to go through that with her. At least you guys can look back at it now that you came out on the good side! Missed you girl!


I appreciate every comment and do read all of them! Thank you for commenting and supporting my blog!