Image Map

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Earthquakes 4

Earthquakes...let me talk to you about this subject. 

When I began telling people we were moving to CA I heard the same response out of 99% of people.  They would all talk about the traffic and the earthquakes.  I would roll my eyes and agree with them, and continue to say I won't have snow and tornados.

Now that I've lived here for a few years I've had a new fear arise in my life.  Earthquakes.  I am now deathly afraid of these suckers.

I had never felt an earthquake before moving to this lovely state, and now I've felt at least 5.  The first earthquake was pretty memorable for me...


It was a Saturday morning.  I was braless, in my pjs, no makeup, hair a rat's nest. If you've read my blog you know that I am fairly large chested and if I don't have an over the shoulder boulder holder on it is a disaster.. 
     Now on with the story.
I had gotten up and was on the couch cuddling with the dogs, watching TV.  All of a sudden I felt my boobs jiggling and heard a really loud noise - almost like a gigantic truck was in my garage.  Next it was all over - no more jiggling and no more noise.  I sat there for a few minutes and said to the dogs "I think that was an earthquake".  If not for my braless self I wouldn't have even known what happened.

After that experience I wasn't concerned, I actually thought earthquakes were pretty fun.  That is until I felt my second one.

The second one happened at work.  I worked in the ghetto in a super old building that if a pebble dropped on the roof the whole building would shake.
It was mid morning and all of a sudden there was a huge rumbling noise and then everything started shaking.  It lasted for about 5 seconds and that is all it took to traumatized me.  It wasn't a big quake, a 4.2, and that was enough to turn these things into my biggest fear.



Californians don't help with this problem of mine:

-The news posts on FB if an earthquake, no matter what magnitude, happens to alert everyone.  Next thing you know there are hundreds of comments about how "the big one is coming", "this is just the beginning"...blah blah blah.  Of course, being myself, I read these comments and start having a major panic attack.

-If it is cloudy and humid the entire state starts saying "it's earthquake weather"!

-If there is no other things to report in this town the news will all of a sudden begin to have stories about how overdue we are for a large earthquake

-Every year there is one day that everyone in the state is supposed to practice earthquake safety called "The Great Shake Out" - imagine a whole day dedicated to this crap!!

Now I am pretty sure I have PTSD. 
Every time I hear a rumble of some sort I panic. 
If the dogs start randomly barking, I think they are sensing my upcoming doom. 
If I feel any sort of vibration (like a truck driving by) I feel like I should drop to the ground and assume the position to protect myself.  Frankly, it is a bit ridiculous, but I can't help it.



There you have it, a look into my biggest fear.  What is yours?  Is it as ridiculous as mine?


4 comments:

  1. I've experienced one earthquake (that I could feel) here in MO. I was in college, sleeping. And it woke me up and scared the crap out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only felt two tiny earthquakes here in Ohio...but I think if they were bigger, they would definitely scare me!

    I am seriously terrified of torandos though...we were under a warning a few weeks ago; my husband easily went back to sleep and I stayed awake for at least an hour FREAKING out because we live on the 5th floor of an apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt an earthquake when I lived in GA. I was in my apartment at college one night, and my friends and I had a little to drinky drinky. My best friend and I were awake and laying on my bed and the whole apartment started shaking. We blamed our guy friend who was passed out on the floor, thought he was playing a joke on us. We even got up on my bed and started jumping up and down and making fun of him. The next morning we realized what had happened. Kind of scary! My biggest fear has been and always will be tornadoes. I have seen too much devastation in my lifetime already by those darn things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been in an earthquake but the thought scares me! I have a slight paranoia of tornados. I have been through two. They scare me a lot because they can't be tracked ahead of time, like hurricanes.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment and do read all of them! Thank you for commenting and supporting my blog!