Image Map

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Stalking my Past 5

I am a stalker...the FB, instagram type.  

I realized last night that I use social media to:
a.) keep track of my family and current friends 
b.) to see what all the people from my past [high school] are doing, or not doing, with themselves.

I was not one of those people who loved or enjoyed high school   I in fact almost hated it.  I wasn't popular nor was I unpopular.  I would, for better terms, say I coasted through the social status.  I had a few really close friends, some of whom I still would consider my best friends,a lot of acquaintances, and a lot of people whom I never spoke to.  

I was always curious about the popular people.  
I never really knew what made them climb the social ladder.  Most of them weren't above average on the looks, brains, or talent scale - but they still were the coolest people at school.



This brings me to the present.  I use FB and Instagram to stalk see what these aforementioned people are doing with their lives.  

I find it thoroughly entertaining to see what they turned out to be.  

Some are super successful, living all around the world and having the time of their lives.
Some are still in my hometown, dating/married to their high school sweethearts and starting families.
Some are just as they were before - nice, snotty, smart, just plain dumb or somewhere in the middle.
Some are absolute train wrecks.
Some have changed and turned into some pretty amazing people.


I don't know what it is that makes me enjoy this so much.  Maybe I feel a little bit of pleasure when I see that we - the coasters - are a bit more successful, a bit prettier, a bit more anything than them.  I know it isn't the most flattering picture I'm painting of myself, but it is the truth...sometimes the truth isn't the most attractive!


I don't think I'm abnormal with these stalker-like tendancies...am I?




5 comments:

  1. I always like to see what my HS friends are up to. I don't do it as often as I used to though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing! And I don't really think it is stalking. People put what they want on those sites. If they don't adjust the privacy settings and they leave stuff public (rather than friends-only/private/locked/protected), for everyone to see, that is their choice. I also like to see what the former popular kids are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, I do the same thing on occasion. The best is to look up jerky old boyfriends and see what losers they turned out to be. The guy that dumped me over Christmas? Two DUIs in a 12 month period. Guy that cheated on me on Valentine's Day? Knocked some girl up really young in life and is constantly complaining about the child support he owes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha! Totally not abnormal! Sometimes I am just so SHOCKED over the girls who have 2-3 kids (and have only been graduated from high school for 5-6 years) and are totally little home makers when in high school? Well.... you just didn't picture them to be the type to settle down if you know what I mean. I love stalking these people to see what their lives have turned into :) But I admit that I'm kind of an instagram snob. I definitely only follow my friends from high school.... not the people that I just want to stalk. Thank goodness I've got FB for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do the exact same thing on Facebook!! There are quite a few people I keep just so I can see what they are up to. We never talk to each other, but I just like to "stalk" them. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment and do read all of them! Thank you for commenting and supporting my blog!