Image Map

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Nostalgia = Shark Week 3

Whenever Shark Week starts I get really nostalgic.  It reminds me of my SeaWorld days.


It also reminds me of one of the best mentors I have ever had in my adult life, Sandi. 

Sandy trained all of us interns the first few week on the job.  
She taught us about all the creatures at SeaWorld, but she made sure to tell us all about her FAVORITE animal ever...Sharks!  
She made us love them as much as she did and I will always have a special place in my heart for these misunderstood creatures.  Just so you understand her love of Sharks, this is currently her FB profile picture.



So, in honor of Sandi and Shark Week, I want to share some of the most memorable facts that she taught me almost 10 years ago.  

Here is a little of what I learned about these amazing creatures that you should know as well:


-A Shark's main purpose is to eat unhealthy and dying animals. This equals a healthier ocean!

-Sharks find prey in 4 different ways: 
  1.  Hearing - they are attracted to low frequency sounds - similar to what an injured or ill fish would emit.
  2.  Smell - they can smells from hundreds of yards away.  They can detect a concentration as low as one part per billion of some chemicals, such as some amino acids!
  3.  The "lateral" line - a series of fluid filled canals that sense low frequency vibrations
 4.  Ampullae of Lorenzini - these are external pores that cover the surface of a sharks head.  They can detect weak electrical fields at short ranges. 



-Sharks lack a swim bladder - this means sharks can't float - they will sink

-When a Shark's tooth falls out it will be replaced by a new one.  They will loose on average 30,000 teeth in their lifetime

-Sharks have what are known as "Dermal Denticles" which are basically teeth on their skin.  They help against predators.


-Sharks do not have a single bone in their body - they are make up completely of cartilage (like your nose or ear).

-Shark Finning:  The most awful thing ever.  A shark is caught, it's dorsal fins are cut off, and then the rest of the animal is discarded back into the ocean, still alive, to die a slow death.  The fin is washed, dried, bleached, dried again.  This processing takes away all flavor and nutritional value.  The flavor of the soup is what stock is added.  Shark fin soup can sell for up to $100/bowl!  Don't eat this crap, buy this crap or even promote this crap!

-On average 5 people are killed by sharks annually where as many as 100,000,000 sharks are killed by humans every year!

                                                                                          

Thank you Sandi for educating us and opening our eyes to the real picture of these awesome creatures. I know I can speak for all of your former interns when I say that you are an inspiration, mentor, friend and one heck of a person that we will never forget!

Now go share your new found shark knowledge with those around you - it is worth it.

As Sandi says "Sharks are pretty cool and not out to eat people"!   



3 comments:

  1. OMG..the thing about shark finning is absolutely horrible! I hate that people do things like that. Thanks for posting these facts...sharks are pretty cool creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not going to lie....I am still afraid of them but they are cool from far away. I love Bruce on Finding Nemo! Shark finning makes me sad, I had never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you worked at sea world. That's awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment and do read all of them! Thank you for commenting and supporting my blog!